Wednesday 16 May 2012

Est-ce que tu puedes understand me, ma?

That was an actual sentence uttered out of my mouth at some point these last few days. I admit that it was a joke, but I often find myself horribly confused when I speak to one of my friends in English or French, and then try and switch to Spanish. I say 'sorry' to people all the time, and speak English to French speaking people, Spanish to English speaking people, and French to Spanish speaking people. I'm pretty sure that by the end of these two months, I won't be able to speak any languages at all.

The teachers at the school in Carachipampa and I
Aside from that, these past few days have been truly amazing. On Saturday, my roommate had some of the teachers from her school over, and we had a great time over a chicken, rice and salad lunch, and also played rummy (or a game that is similar whose name has slipped my mind). It was great to be able to meet many of them, especially because I have been considering volunteering at the school in the mornings to help one of the teachers with a student who needs extra help. Because Elijo la Vida usually starts after 3:30 in the afternoon, my mornings are entirely free, and I have been wracking my mind as to what to do. I would also like to work in the South area with some of the people in more physical need, so we will have to see where God leads me.

Caramela likes to intrude personal bubbles
Sunday, I experienced an example of true hospitality and kindness. I was at a Spanish speaking church, and the pastor had asked us to split into groups and share about different topics. When he assigned my group our topic, I had no idea what he was talking about, so long story short, I got to meeting a young Bolivian lady who could speak English, because she taught at an English school, and so she translated for me. After talking some more after service, I learned more about her and told her a bit about what I was doing in Cochabamba, and she invited me out for coffee to chat more! I was just so grateful for the gesture, and it really made me think about what true hospitality in church should be like. How many times have I invited out new visitors from church, in order to make them feel more welcome? How often do I sacrifice my own comfort, in order to help others?

Backtracking, on Saturday, I went to the market with my roommate, and we passed these two homeless people in wheelchairs, asking for money. My heart leapt for them, and that evening, I felt a strong desire that God may be leading me to serve the people who are desperately unfortunate in Cochabamba. But another equally strong conviction occurred to me, which was that I do not feel an equally strong passion to develop relationships with the homeless people of Kingston and Ottawa, and I even speak the same language as them. I can´t seem to overcome my own comfortable bubble enough to invite a homeless person out to lunch, or even sit down and have a chat with them. So is my desire to help them truly out of a desire to serve the Lord, or is it just because I´m excited and having a sort of ´saviour complex´?

Monday, I had my first language lesson in Cochabamba, and I loved it. For the first time, I learned how to properly pronounce all of the syllables in Spanish (the Cochabamba way), and I had a blast telling everyone that no, I was not from Korea, and no, sadly, I cannot speak much Chinese (apparently, many more Korean people come to Cochabamba than Chinese people). My two teachers are amazing, and they are really attentive to how each student learns. In Bolivia, Angelica (one of my teachers) explained that many people struggle with learning rules first and then applying them, and instead learn through instinct. I definitely agree that language learning is best done through practice, and not in the classroom.

Monday also marked the first time that I volunteered with Elijo la Vida. I am working with three women; a doctor, a biochemist/lab technician and a nurse. They are all so incredibly nice, and toured me around their small office. There is an office area, a waiting room, a small clinic room, and a small lab. We also had a patient visit, a lady who had just given birth to a baby two weeks ago. Marilyn (my supervisor) explained to me that the mother had originally wanted to give the baby up for adoption, but later changed her mind, because of her older daughter´s insistence. I got to watch Marilyn work with the mother, and there was definitely a very large personal relation aspect (and she let me check the baby´s temperature, she was so cute!).

The waiting room
The doctor's office
This is a model of a 12 week old baby, it was supposed to feel lifelike



At 6, we went to a church in the South area of Cochabamba, to make a presentation on cervical cancer, and the benefits of Pap tests. Marilyn told me that the most common cause of death among women is from cancer, most of it preventable through early diagnosis. There was a huge turnout, I only hope that they will seriously consider coming into the clinic. As a slightly unimportant side note, I seem to be allowed to give Pap tests and administer injections, which is very exciting (and also a little scary!), but I don´t know yet if this is for sure. As well, next week, we will probably be going to the East of Bolivia to run a health clinic for a small Yuquis village, and we will probably be staying for two days. I am super excited for that!
Marilyn and Criss (Marilyn gave the presentation)

This was when the church was halfway full


He was so silly, he insisted on having his picture taken

The church we went to

Prayer requests:
-That amidst all of the hustling and bustling, I would not forget to praise God for all that He has provided me with, and that my desire would be truly to serve Him and not only experience new things.
- For the churches in Bolivia, that they continue to be strengthened and encourage each other in the Lord.

Hasta luego!

Jocelyn

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Your blog reminds me of the era when I would travel to Japan, Korea, Thailand, Israel, Finland, etc. I would be fascinated by the local market, the food, the signs at the metro station, and how to count from one to ten in the local languages.

    By the way, I think the picture is a model of a 12 week old fetus, not a 12 week old baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I will pray for the ladies there that they will be more aware of their health issues and may God bless them with love and salvation.

    ReplyDelete